How Often Should Fire Alarm Systems be Inspected?
Owners have an annual fire alarm inspection requirement by a specialized company such as Services DragonShield (Régie du bâtiment du Québec 2021). The owner must also perform weekly and monthly checks to ensure that the fire alarm system is working properly, according to the CAN/ULC – S536 standard.
Inspection of Fire Alarm Systems
- Weekly – Checking the fire alarm system and fire panel for proper operation. The owner or building manager must ensure that there are no problems reported on the fire alarm panel. Building managers must be always vigilant.
- Monthly – Certain tests are required on many components of the fire alarm system. The monthly inspection can be performed by the owner, building manager, or a professional.
- Annual – The annual inspection must be performed by fire alarm inspection specialists. The fire alarm and sprinkler systems will be inspected and tested during this inspection (Régie du bâtiment du Québec 2021).
Services DragonShield holds the necessary licenses to verify the electronic, computer, and telecommunication components.
The Annual Inspection Includes
- Inspection of all fire alarm components (all manufacturers)
- Inspection of all sprinkler system components
- Inspection and refilling of fire extinguishers
- Inspection of carbon monoxide detectors
- Testing of the entire fire safety system
- Checking the fire alarm panel
- Inspection certificates and reports as required by the building code
- If there are deficiencies in the fire alarm system, DragonShield Services offers fire alarm systems upgrade services.
It is important to do the inspections required by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec to ensure the safety of the people in your building. In addition, you will have the ULC-536 certificates to provide to your insurer to be protected in case of an accident.
For more information on the inspection obligations of building owners, contact us.